Hello From Sunny Australia!

I've finally gotten all set up and figured it was time to give everyone an update!

The first plane I was on was pretty big so I thought there would be a lot of people on it. Much to my surprise I ended up having an entire row to myself! I was able to stretch out and sleep across the seats on my way to LAX. I wonder if that had something to do with the timing of the Super Bowl. The flight went by pretty quickly and I took some really cool pictures of all the light patterns different cities made as we flew past them. The food they gave us was surprisingly good. I had chicken in some kind of wine sauce with buttered orzo and veggies. We had a smooth landing and as we were taxiing the pilot announced the winner of the super bowl for the few passengers who had asked. He also gave us a quick run down of the game which was pretty cool of him. 


As soon as I got off the first plane I had to run to my next gate because they were already boarding the next flight! I was in the very back of the plane, but I had a window seat again which I love! This time I didn't get the entire row to myself, but there was only one other person so I had ample leg room. During dinner I had my first legal drink! (It was a dark and stormy.) Since I will be turning 21 in Oz it's not something I will ever have to think about again. I got a lot of sleep on the plane and watched a couple movies as well. For breakfast I had a fresh fruit platter and a warm cranberry muffin. They were both great! Our descent took us right by the city skyline and I was able to snap a few quick photos on my phone. 

When I arrived at the airport I moved quickly through customs and baggage claim and was able to locate the car that Monash had sent for me with little trouble. It's about a 40 min. drive from the airport to the campus I am staying on so I had ample time to pick the brain of my driver about all the places in Melbourne that I absolutely had to see. We also drove by a ton of cool art installations that have been put in all over the city.

When we first got to campus I couldn't believe it. It was like something out of a dream. The campus is so beautiful and everything is extremely high tech. All the doors are glass and open automatically when you walk through them. I was set up with my room right away and finally had a chance to relax. I unpacked for a while and then ventured out in search of food. There is a pizza place right across the way from my dorm as well as an on campus food mart. I think the thing that surprised me the most was how expensive things can be around here. For example, a pint of Ben & Jerry's was $13.99! I spent the rest of the day resting and setting up my new home. 

The next day, Wednesday, I decided that it was time to venture off campus. I purchased a MYKI card, which is a bit like a metro card, and headed for the bus station. I took a bus to the Chadstone  Shopping Center. It was the biggest and most beautiful mall I'd ever seen. The ceilings above me were waved glass and ran the entire length of each hall. It had so many stores that I was a bit overwhelmed. I chose to focus on the necessities and picked up a phonecard as well as some home items from Target and Kmart. I had to carry everything home with me on the bus so I tried to limit my purchases but everything was so cute! Getting back to campus was pretty easy but it was so hot out that I had to stop for an iced tea. 

I love my new home in Australia and am excited to experience all that Monash has to offer. 


1/3 All these cities looked so different from above!

2/3 All these cities looked so different from above!

3/3 All these cities looked so different from above!

My first glimpse at the country I'll be living in for the next 5 months!

Flying through the clouds.

Rural Australia.

MY first look at Melbourne's skyscrapers.

Melbourne's skyline.

The view from my dorm!



Comments

  1. That is awesome Elizabeth! Have a fantastic time :-)
    ~Susan (missing you at work)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M SO VERY PROUD OF YOU
    ..I HOPE YOU RECEIVE THIS..DON

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear about your research field trip
    G & G D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope all is well.visit us at the Emerson if you are around

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diving on the Peninsula

Queenscliff Marine Discovery Center

And I'm Off!